Photo: Scene from last year’s Gimje Horizon Festival
Fall is the season of plenty in Korea as a variety of grains & fruits make up the abundant harvest. There are several unique festivals held throughout the nation but one of the must-go fall festivals is none other than Gimje Horizon Festival.
Held at the Gimje Byeokgolje Reservoir, the Gimje Horizon Festival will run from September 29 to October 3, 2016. This year, six different themed events including global, traditional, night, cultural, auxiliary and hands-on program will be offered to all participants at the festival.
Photo: Farm art (top left) / Foreigners enjoying makgeolli at the festival (top right) / Tug-of-war (bottom left) / Torch-lighting ceremony (bottom right)
In particular, diverse Korean agricultural experience programs such as makgeolli (rice wine) festival, cooking rice in a furnace, tug-of-war contest, traditional swinging competion, and kite-flying are available at the festival as well.
☞ Event period: September 29 – October 3, 2016
* Operating hours vary according to events. Please make an inquiry prior to visiting. / Separate fees may apply to hands-on programs.
☞ Event venue: Areas of Gimje-si, Jeollabuk-do (centered around Byeokgolje reservoir site)
☞ Address: 442, Byeokgolje-ro, Buryang-myeon, Gimje-si, Jeollabuk-do
– Exclusive Shuttle Bus for Foreigners: Two buses operating daily during event period. (Depart from Gwanghwamun (Donghwa Duty Free Shop Parking Lot Area) at 08:00 and arrive at Gimje at 11:00 / Depart from Gimje at 17:00 and arrive at Gwanghwamun at 20:00)
* Note: From October 1-3, the shuttle bus will bypass Jeongeup (Chrysanthemum Festival) before arriving at Gimje.
* Reservations can be made via Dongbo Travel Agency website (click here). Reservations closed on September 28, 2016 / Fee: 10,000 won per person (same fee applies for one-way & round-trip)
– Train: Yongsan Station → Gimje Station 06:30-23:10 (Estimated travel time: approx. 3 hours to 3 hours 30 min)
Gimje Station → Yongsan Station 00:15-21:13 (Estimated travel time: approx. 3 hours to 3 hours 30 min)
Express Bus: Central City Terminal (Honam Line) → Gimje Intercity Bus Terminal 06:40-19:00 10 (Estimated travel time: approx. 3 hours 5 min)
Gimje Intercity Bus Terminal → Central City Terminal (Honam Line) 06:40-18:30 / (Estimated travel time: approx. 2 hours 45 min)
* Free shuttle bus to the festival venue available from Gimje Station & Gimje Intercity Bus Terminal during festival period from 08:00 to 22:00. (Note: Buses may also run after 22:00, subject to request and availability.)
☞ Website: festival.gimje.go.kr (Korean only)
☞ 1330 Korea Travel Hotline: +82-2-1330 (Korean, English, Japanese, Chinese)